Deadline: December 13, 2019
Applications are open for the Ashinaga Africa Initiative 2020 for Anglophone and Francophone countries. The mission of the initiative is to contribute to Sub-Saharan Africa’s expanding role in global development through increasing access to higher education abroad. They support orphaned students who are committed to returning home and initiating change, by providing access to full financial support to study at a university abroad (equivalent to an undergraduate degree).
Ashinaga established the Ashinaga Africa Initiative in 2014 with the aim of contributing to Sub-Saharan Africa’s long-term development by empowering a generation of future leaders. Their students receive an international university education, comprehensive support throughout their studies, and the means to return home and be agents of positive change.
- Ashinaga support covers tuition, accommodation, travel costs, and other necessary fees.
- Anglophone Countries: Botswana, Ethiopia, Eritrea, The Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, Kingdom of eSwatini, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Mauritius*, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, Seychelles*, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe
- Francophone Countries: Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon*, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Côte d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of Congo, Djibouti, Gabon, Guinea Conakry, Madagascar, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Republic of Congo, Senegal and Togo.
*As these countries have French and English as its official languages, applicants can apply to either the Anglophone or Francophone program. However, this does not guarantee multiple seats on the AAI will be provided.
The following are documents you will need to submit as part of your application.
- Copy of birth certificate of applicant.
- Copy of death certificate of deceased parent(s), including the deceased parent’s name, or alternative official documentation proving death of parent(s) or orphan status.
- Copy of national ID card or passport.
- Copy of term reports / high school transcripts (from the last 2 years).
- Copy of final Secondary School Examination Certificate*
- Copy of academic transcripts or diplomas from university/post-secondary institution, if applicable.
* For students receiving their examination results after December 13, 2019 and before February 28, 2020 they will ask you to send your examination certificate if you are selected to progress to the second round of the application process
For more information, visit Ashinaga Africa Initiative.